Sunday, January 16, 2011

More's a Crowd

Dear Sammy,

I have a problem that I think affects almost all cats in a multi-cat household. Too many cats, too little lap. I live with my person and my two brothers. A great evening for us bachelors is dinner and then settling down to watch the tube. The problem is, we all want to sit in the same chair. When we were kittens, it wasn’t much of an issue. Plenty of room for all. But now that we’re adults, the chair has gotten much smaller. Even that, we could live with, one cat on the lap, and one by each leg. Now, though, my person has gotten himself a laptop. There goes the lap. He seems to think it’s more important to play with those keys than to pet me. I’ve tried it. I don’t know what he sees in it. Granted, the thing is warm, but hey, so’s a blanket.

Now, it’s like musical lap. When our guy sits down, it’s a race to see who gets a seat and who gets left in the cold. Our once happy family has turned into a turf war. I hope you can help before someone, or something, gets booted out the door.

Edged Out in Elk Grove

Dear Edged Out,

Never fear, you do have options. I myself, prefer to hang out on the back of the chair. I get the best view of the TV and no one crowds me. The best thing, is I’m not disturbed when my person gets up. Give it a try, I think you’ll like it.

You may also consider alternating your TV viewing site. Even bachelors usually have more than one chair. Try a different chair, or the sofa, on some nights. It will make your person appreciated it more when you do deign to sit with him. Also, being having a little space does have its advantages, especially when you get an itch.

Finally, remember, much as we hate it, things do change. Sometimes, it’s even for the better. Should your bachelor become unsingle, that would mean double the laps for you. Be sure the check out the lap when he brings a guest home, and let him know which ones are acceptable.

Stay comfy!

Sammy

No comments:

Post a Comment