Friday, October 21, 2011

Feeling Abandoned

Dear Sammy,

My person and I make a great team, I think. We’ve got a good routine going. In the morning, we get up and she gets me breakfast and we watch the news together. Then she goes off to make money while I have my morning to mid-afternoon nap. When she gets home, I’m ready for a little playtime and dinner. She’ll do some people stuff while I take my post-dinner nap, and then we’ll watch Animal Planet until it’s time for bed. Some days, she’ll stay home and I’ll help with chores like making the bed and keeping out of the way while the loud sucking machine picks up all the hair I’ve carefully placed, but for the most part, things run smoothly.

Lately though, things have changed. She gets out a big bag and throws clothes in it, and then I won’t see her for days. Sometimes, it’s just overnight, and I don’t really notice between naps. But more often lately, it’s been days and days and days. When this happens, the girl next door makes sure I have food and keeps my space clean, and will stay awhile to play. I like her, but it’s not the same.

I want to find out where she goes, and I’ve tried jumping into the bag, but she always kicks me out. Why does she suddenly feel the need to abandon me? Does she have another cat stashed somewhere? Or worse, a dog?! She always comes home, but should I be worried?

Missing Her in Modesto


Dear Missing,

Before I became a world famous cat columnist, I would have said there was something about which to worry. However, experience has taught me differently.

In the human world, there is something called a “business trip.” It’s not something your person can control, they just pop up from time to time when other people want to see them. They are not pleasant, and trust me, your person would much rather stay home with you.

I know, because now and then, I am forced to take one to meet my fans. I can tell you it’s not fun being put in a box and carted off to distant locales. Even though I travel first class, of course, traveling is still a pain in the tail. It’s even worse for people. They have to go through many lines, take their shoes off, put their shoes on. Open the bags, close the bags. And for some reason, they feel the need to slurp down a bottle of water right before getting into those long lines. Traveling is worse than going to the vet.

Instead of worrying about being left behind, you should feel sorry for her, and let her know you feel her pain. When my person goes away without me (and after traveling a few times, I’m glad to be left at home) I put one of my toys in her bag so at least she’ll have something to play with when she’s gone. She’ll thank you for it when she gets home.

All the best,

Sammy

No comments:

Post a Comment