Sunday, August 29, 2010

2nd-Life Crisis

Dear Sammy,

For most of my life, I’ve been happy just to sleep, eat, destroy and sleep again. I thought this happy life would go on forever. But the other day I woke up and realized I’m SEVEN! My whole first life has passed me by, and what have I accomplished? Oh sure, I’ve had ten children, but who hasn’t? I’m not a famous cat food spokes kitty. I haven’t amassed a great fortune. I don’t help other cats, like you do. I thought about getting in shape, and even climbed up the scratching tower a couple times, but truthfully, it makes a better napping post. My buddy, who is an outdoor cat has been on some great adventures. Once, he even rode on top of a car all the way around the block before he was discovered. The only car ride I ever take is in a carrier to the vet. Not so exciting. I feel like I should use at least one of my lives to make a difference.

Conflicted in Coloma

Dear Conflicted,

First, thank you for the nice compliment. I have to admit, it’s not as glamorous as it sounds. I have a person who reads all my letters to me, types my answers and submits them to my publisher. I just have to come up with the advice. That being said, don’t despair if you don’t have an obvious calling. From your letter, I can tell you are a quite happy housecat. You may not believe it, but that is one of the highest callings a cat can have. You can’t have a house without people, and people need cats to be truly happy. Just be being yourself, you are enriching the lives of everyone around you. Think about it, when you rub against your person’s legs doesn’t he (or she) smile? Next time you’re napping, open one eye and nine times out of ten your people will be smiling at you. You give the m the strength to face the day. You are accomplishing great things just by doing what comes natural.

Don’t forget, you still have eight more lives to do great things, if you want to.

Keep up the good work!

Sammy

No comments:

Post a Comment